Hello everyone. I hope you had a wonderful weekend. I for one, had an amazing weekend and I want to take a few minutes to tell you about it.
For those of you who don’t know, I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. That’s right. I am a Mormon.
Twice a year, the leadership of the church broadcast what we call “General Conference.” During those weekends, the Prophets, Apostles and other leaders share inspired words of wisdom with the world. These talks are broadcast on television, over the radio, and published online for people to read.
I love General Conference weekends. My best friend calls them Pajama Church because she loves to watch from home. I usually watch about half of Conference at home, and half at church. My favorite way to start the weekend is at the church building. It sets the mood for the weekend and helps me get into the right spirit.
I’ll get up early Saturday morning, shower, put on appropriate (and comfortable) church attire and drive over to the Stake Center. The building is usually pretty peaceful. When I first walk in, the sound of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir streams down the hallways.
I’m never alone. The missionaries are there, as well as a few other families and single adults. Once I’m situated in one of the back pews, I stretch out, lean back, close my eyes, and soak in the hymns. Then, after the opening prayer, I pull out my journal and write to Heavenly Father. It’s really a prayer, a short journal entry about how thankful I am for the wonderful weekend ahead of me and for all of the many blessings in my life. I also write down my thoughts, which are focused on the questions and concerns that I need guidance about.
When the final session comes to a close on Sunday afternoon, I’m tired but filled with the Spirit. So many wonderful words of wisdom have been shared from the pulpit and I’m ready to reflect on all that I have learned.
My goal for this blog is to share the truths that I encounter. Well, after a wonderful weekend listening to the Prophets and Apostles, I have a few truths to share.
This post is already getting a little long, so I am just going to list a few of the quotes, notes, and thoughts that I had during this conference season. I will do my best to share a little more at a later date.
The first two come from Women’s Conference, which was broadcast last weekend.
(1) A question to ask yourself: “I am a child of God, therefor what?”
(2) “God didn’t design us to be sad, he created us to have joy.”
Ok, on to the notes from General Conference.
(3) God created us to grow and progress.
(4) Another question to ask yourself: Who is keeping me (or you) from progressing?
(5) Motherhood – it is a sacred trust of the highest order.
(6) In the Atonement, He (Jesus Christ) experienced EVERYTHING.
(7) I need to look at children (everyone really) through Heavenly Father’s eyes.
(8) Act on the promptings you felt today.
(9) We need these callings and we need to serve.
(10) Save money each week.
(11) Ponderize one verse of scripture each week.
(12) “When you cannot to do what you’ve always done, then you only do what matters.”